To help prevent disease in your backyard flock, incorporate these common preventative measures:
- Ensuring regular sanitation, thorough cleaning, scrubbing, and disinfection of the poultry house.
- Properly disposing of old litter before introducing new birds into the poultry house.
- Quarantining new birds from outside flocks for 14 days.
- Not allowing visitors into your poultry house if they have had contact or visited other poultry farms. Also, if there are any visitors, they should be wearing clothes and shoes that have not been in contact with other birds.
- Keeping wild birds, particularly waterfowl, from contact with your birds.
- Purchasing feed from a reliable source, storing it properly, and not feeding moldy feed.
- Properly disposing of dead birds.
- Separating sick chickens from the rest of the flock.
- In the event of a disease outbreak, getting an accurate diagnosis as soon as possible.
For more information, refer to the page on Biosecurity for small poultry flocks.