- Find out if you are eligible for unemployment and begin the process as soon as possible.
- Contact your creditors as soon as you know that you'll have a problem paying bills. Take the offensive. Call your lenders before they call you.
- When you call a creditor, have the following information ready: account number, reasons why you would like to renegotiate your payment, and how much you propose to pay until you get back on your feet.
- Keep the lines of communication with your creditors open. A creditor may not believe you need to renegotiate your payments until you are forced to make a reduced or late payment.
- Keep a record of all of your calls and correspondence with your creditors so that you can keep track of what you and your creditors have agreed to.
We would like your feedback on this Personal Finance Frequently Asked Question.