Parenting Tips for Your 23-24 Month Old Toddler
How I Grow
- I can pedal a small tricycle.
- I can throw a ball into a basket that is on the ground.
- I can walk down stairs alone, both feet on one step at a time holding on to the railing.
- I like to run more than I like to walk.
- I like to walk on low walls while you hold my hand.
- I can walk a few steps on tiptoe.
- I might be afraid of the noise of trains, trucks, toilet flushing, and the vacuum cleaner. I might also fear rain, wind, and wild animals. Be patient with me.
How I Talk
- I can ask questions just to keep you talking with me.
- I can answer some questions, such as “What is your name?” “What does the dog say?” “What does the cat say?”
- I can name many things that I see often, such as things in my house, my preschool, or neighborhood.
- I’m learning the meaning of “soon” and am learning to wait.
- I can ask for food and drink.
What I Have Learned
- I can sit and “read” picture books, turning the pages for myself.
- I can put together a puzzle of three to six pieces.
- I know pretty well where things are located in and around my house.
- I can make a tower of eight blocks.
How I Get Along with Others
- I still don’t understand sharing, but I like to be with other children sometimes.
- I am interested in babies and their mothers.
- I am afraid of rejection.
- I like to order other people around.
- I sometimes show my anger by slapping, biting, and hitting.
- I want my way in everything.
- I am sometimes stubborn, and I use words like, “It’s mine,” “I don’t like it,” “Go away,” “I won’t,” and “No” a lot.
What I Can Do for Myself
- I can take off all my clothes and I can put most of my clothes back on.
- I like to un-wrap packages.
- I know what a toilet is, but I may not want to use it yet.
- I can turn doorknobs and open doors. Keep dangerous things out of my sight and out of my reach.
- I want to do a lot of things myself.
Play I Enjoy
- I like to play simple chase games like tag.
- A teddy bear or soft doll is still my favorite toy.
- I like to take things apart and put them together. Watch out that I don’t play with small pieces that could choke me.
- I can stack five rings on a peg toy in the right order.
- I like to be pushed on a swing.
- I mess happily with soft play dough.