Parenting Tips for Your 11 Month Old Baby
How I Grow
- I stand by myself for a moment or two. Once I get good at standing, I may love it so much that I’ll refuse to sit down!
- I hold a toy in one hand while I pull myself up on my feet with the other hand.
- I may even wave and turn my body around while standing, without falling down.
- I walk if you hold only one of my hands.
- I easily squat down, stoop, bend over, and then get up.
- I hold a pencil or crayon and love to make marks.
- I can take a spoon and put it in my mouth.
How I Talk
- I know that words are used to identify things.
- I may use one word to mean a whole thought.
- I babble and mumble gibberish a lot.
How I Respond
- I copy everything I see, and I then do it my own way.
- I try to get your approval. I hide when I know you are not pleased with what I have done.
- I may test you to see how much I can get away with.
- During times of family stress, I may suck my thumb or fingers. It gives me comfort. If I do it a lot, see if I’m getting enough attention and if I’m feeling secure.
How I Understand
- I see the expression on your face and copy it. I'm learning from you!
- I try to bark and meow when I see a dog or a cat. I am learning what people, animals, and things do.
- I like to look at pictures in books and magazines. Teach me about the sounds animals make and show me their pictures in books.
- I know that tools will help me. I might push a chair in front of me to steady my walking.
How I Feel
- I may cling to you, especially in new situations.
- I may cry, scream, and have tantrums if I don't get my way.
Sometimes parents wonder if there are signs that their baby is developing normally. There are lists of warning signs, or red flags as some people call them, to find out if your baby is developing normally. To get more information on these warning signs, go to this Web site: http://www.firstsigns.org/concerns/flags.htm.