Parenting Tips for Your 8 Month Old Baby
How I Grow
- I crawl backward and forward on my stomach.
- I pull myself up by holding onto furniture, but I have trouble getting back down.
- I stand up if I lean against something.
- I sit without support for several minutes. My neck and back are getting stronger, so I can sit up straighter now.
- I hold onto a toy, such as a rattle, for several minutes.
- I reach for things and hold them with my thumb and first and second fingers.
- I pick up small things, such as pieces of string.
How I Talk
- I let you know if I am happy, sad, or scared by the sounds that I make.
- I still babble a lot and shout to get your attention. I am now an “advanced” babbler, which means I’m making sounds in my family’s language. Spanish babies “speak” Spanish; Russian babies “babble” in Russian.
- I watch and try to copy your mouth movements.
How I Understand
- I am very curious and want to explore everything. I empty drawers, tear magazines, and turn things topsy-turvy. Be sure everything that can harm me is out of reach.
- I know how to solve simple problems, such as making a toy bell ring.
- I understand more of what you say. I know the meaning of "in" and "out."
- I remember events that just happened.
- I like to look at pictures and have you name what's in them.
How I Respond
- I like to pat and kiss my reflection in the mirror.
- I turn and listen when I hear familiar sounds such as the telephone ringing or someone saying my name.
- I love to imitate people I know.
How I Feel
- I am frightened by new experiences and new people.
- I am upset when you leave me, even if it's for a short time.
- I feel so relieved when you return.
- I'm upset when people make a lot of fuss over me.
- I get frustrated or lose my temper when I can’t find something.