Military discharge papers

Personal Finance April 11, 2008 Print Friendly and PDF

To obtain copies of military discharge papers, request Standard Form 180 (SF-180) from any office of the Veterans Administration, American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, or Red Cross or from other veterans associations or military recruiters. You can also download Standard Form 180 from the National Personnel Records Center. Click here to download form SF-180. Send the completed form to:

National Personnel Records Center
Military Personnel Records
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100

The National Personnel Records Center responds only to mailed, faxed, or online requests. Its fax number is 314-801-9195 and its Web address is

If your papers were recorded in the office of your county clerk at the time of your discharge, you can also contact that office directly for copies.

Return to List

Connect with us

  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • YouTube
  • Pinterest


This is where you can find research-based information from America's land-grant universities enabled by



This work is supported by the USDA National Institute of Food and Agriculture, New Technologies for Ag Extension project.