Home Files

Personal Finance April 11, 2008 Print Friendly and PDF
home office

Depending on how often you use a particular file, you may choose to store it in one of three at-home locations: current files, permanent files, or "dead storage" files.

Current files contain papers that you need frequently. They should be located in the most accessible drawers in a file cabinet or desk or in the easiest-to-reach boxes. You can also store some of them on a computer hard drive that is backed up consistently to a computer disk or jump drive.

Examples: Bank and credit union statements, bills to pay and paid bills, medical information

Permanent files contain papers that you need less often. Because you don't handle these papers frequently, you can store them in a less accessible file drawer or box -- or perhaps in a binder or on a computer disk or jump drive that you can remove quickly in case of a fire, flood, or other emergency. Update these records annually or as needed.

Examples: Education records, employment records, and working copies of your household property inventory and Record of Important Papers

''Dead storage'' files -- perhaps a box or old file cabinet located in your attic, basement, or closet -- are for records that are very rarely used but that may be needed one day.

Example: Past income tax records

Connect with us

  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • YouTube
  • Pinterest


This is where you can find research-based information from America's land-grant universities enabled by eXtension.org



This work is supported by the USDA National Institute of Food and Agriculture, New Technologies for Ag Extension project.