Response can be thought of as any immediate activity or action taken to save lives and property when a flood event is going to occur, and during and after a flood event. These activities may include things such as sandbagging, turning off utilities, and moving valuable items to higher floors. Response also includes sheltering and evacuation.
Protect your property:
Protect your family:
- These articles focus on ways you can manage risks associated with floods.
Watch a Demonstration
- How to Build a Sandbag Dike on frozen ground, a 5-minute video demonstration by Ken Hellevang, North Dakota State University Extension Engineer.
- How to Plug Drains to keep sewage from flowing in during periods of excessive rains or flooding, a 12:56-minute demonstration by Carl Pedersen, North Dakota State University Extension Educator.
- Sandbagging Safety Tips include how to fill, lift and pass sandbags; what to wear and eat; and more from North Dakota State University
- Preparing to evacuate your home when flooding is imminent:
Coastal Hazards documents in the National Sea Grant Library.