Case studies of greenhouse growers and other farmers using alternative energy for heating in greenhouses and running equipment have been posted by UVM Extension at: On-Farm Energy Case Studies.
The case studies describe systems that use biodiesel, coal, log wood, shell corn, waste vegetable oil, waste wood chips,and wood pellets to heat greenhouses.
In addition, there are links to case studies of on-farm biodiesel production.
Case Studies available from University of Vermont Extension:
- Biodiesel Production from Waste Vegetable Oil for Greenhouse Heat - Cate Farm, Plainfield VT
- Greenhouse Furnace Project Report - 14 Growers
- Hard Coal for Greenhouse Heat - Sam Mazza's Farmstand, Bakery and Greenhouses, Colchester VT
- Log Wood Gasification for Hydronic Greenhouse Heat - Vermont Herb and Salad Company, Benson VT
- On-Farm Biodiesel Production from Oil Seed Crops - State Line Farm, Shaftsbury VT
- On-Farm Corn Production for Greenhouse Heat - Feasibility Study - Clear Brook Farm, Shaftsbury VT
- Outdoor Cord Wood Gasifier for Greenhouse Heat - High Ledge Farm, S. Woodbury VT
- Outdoor Wood Boiler for Greenhouse and Farmstead Heat - Blais Farm, Springfield VT
- Outdoor Wood Pellet Boiler for Greenhouse Heat - River Berry Farm, Fairfax VT
- Quantum Dairy Farm Energy Case Study - Wisconsin
- Solar Hot Water for Greenhouse Heat - Feasibility Study - Old Athens Farm, Westminster VT
- Waste Wood Chips for Greenhouse Heat - Stow Greenhouses, Stow MA
- Waste Vegetable Oil for Greenhouse Heat - Old Athens Farm, Westminster VT
- Wind Power for Electricity- Butterworks Farm, Westfield VT
- Wood Pellet Furnace for Small Scale Greenhouse Heat - Your Farm, Fairlee VT
- Vermont Energy Success Stories - Farm to Plate Network
Many additional resources are available here: Greenhouse Efficiency and Energy Conservation
Contributors to this article