Fruits and vegetables provide important nutrients and fiber that help maintain good health.
Fruits and vegetables provide important nutrients and fiber that help maintain good health. They are full of phytochemicals the natural plant compounds, that produce the bright color and provide a variety of health benefits. Known phytochemicals have a broad range of protective benefits.
Eating large amounts of colorful fruits and vegetables that are high in phytochemicals may decrease the risk of developing diabetes, decrease the risk of heart disease, high blood pressure and may protect from some cancers. Fruits and vegetables naturally yellow, orange, red, green, blue, purple, and white, along with a diet of whole grains/cereals and beans can provide a powerful health benefit. For optimum health, create a colorful plate with these naturally beautiful hues:
- Tomatoes, red peppers, cranberries, cherries and other naturally red foods will help maintain a healthy heart, memory function, and urinary tract health.
- Blue/purple foods such as blueberries, plums, blackberries, purple grapes, purple cabbage and others help maintain healthy aging, memory, and urinary track health.
- Yellow/orange foods like carrots, sweet potatoes, yellow peppers, oranges, and pumpkin also help maintain a healthy heart, immune system, and night-vision health.
- Green fruits and vegetables like spinach, broccoli, kiwi, green grapes, and green peppers help prevent macular degeneration and cataracts.
- White foods like bananas, garlic, apples, onions and cauliflower help maintain heart health and lower the risk of some cancers.
Enjoy More Fruits and Vegetables