Parenting Tips for Your 13-14 Month Old Toddler
How I Grow:
- I don’t like to be held back.
- I want to explore everything.
- I poke, bang, turn, and twist everything I can reach.
- I can probably stand alone and walk pretty well.
- I can probably stoop and stand up again.
- I’m very interested in small things like crumbs, bugs, and little rocks.
- I spend a lot of time just staring at things; this is one way I learn.
- I may be afraid of the dark.
How I Talk:
- I am learning simple words.
- I can look in the right direction when you ask where’s daddy, where’s the ball.
- I will answer to my name.
- I will wave bye-bye if you ask.
- I have begun to understand the names of some people, animals, and things that are important to me.
- I can let you know when I want something like a glass of milk.
- I like putting sounds together.
- I really try hard to make you understand me.
- I like to repeat words you say.
- Sometimes I like you to tell me the names of things in books.
What I Have Learned So Far:
- I am learning what you will let me do and what you won’t let me do.
- I will empty anything I can get to such as dresser drawers, kitchen cabinets, trash cans, laundry baskets.
- Sometimes I like to put things back in containers.
- I like to copy your actions.
- I have learned how to get you and other adults to help me do things.
- I have not yet learned what is dangerous for me to do.
- I may scream just to show you how powerful I am.
- I have learned pat-a-cake and like to show it off to anyone who will watch.
- Sometimes, not often, I will respond to a firm “no-no.”
How I Get Along With Others:
- I love to have people watch me and I like to hear them clap for me; I’m beginning to do cute things just to get your attention.
- I show I love you with hugs and kisses ... sometimes.
- I still like to keep my mother and father in sight when I’m exploring.
- I’m beginning to get used to babysitters, but I’m still shy with strangers.
- I like to have you play with me.
- Sometimes I drop things just to get you to pick them up for me.
- I don’t like playing in a room by myself.
- I may have tantrums and throw things when I’m angry.
Play I Like:
- I like to push a rolling toy and put things in piles.
- I can play alone, but mostly I like to play with you: especially chase-me, catch-me, find-me games and tickling.
- I like putting little things in big things.
- I like to listen to music and dance to it.
- I’m beginning pretend play like driving a pretend car.