Parenting Tips for Your 15-16 Month Old Toddler
How I Grow:
- I like to climb on things, and I usually like to do it alone.
- I can climb up stairs on my hands and knees.
- I can climb out of cribs, high chairs, and strollers.
- I’m always on the go; I can walk pretty well; I can run a little.
- I like to carry things in each hand.
- I want to show you how independent I am by doing what I want, not what you want me to do.
- I can understand simple directions such as “no, “come,” “show me,” and “look.”
- I am learning to talk back and forth with people.
- I don’t usually like having a whole story read to me.
- I would rather point to pictures in a book and have you talk to me about them.
- I am beginning to say “no” a lot.
What I Have Learned:
- I like to feel different kinds of things such as smooth things, rough things, and soft things. I may not like things that stick to my fingers.
- I can throw a small ball but I usually throw it crooked.
- I may be able to build a tower of two blocks.
- I can scribble with a pencil or crayon.
How I Get Along with Others:
- I mostly want my own way; I may not cooperate much.
- I like lots of attention.
- I can tell when someone I know is not around.
- I can recognize myself in a mirror or photograph.
- I’m pretty self-centered and often not friendly.
- I like to copy the way you do things like sweeping the floor, setting the table, or raking the lawn.
- If you show me that you like what I do, I will do it a lot.
- Sometimes I will get things for you.
- I like to know where you are at all times.
- I’m not very good at giving but I like to get things.
What I Can Do for Myself:
- I like to do things for myself but I don’t do them very well.
- I can let you know when I have wet or soiled pants, but I’m still too young to be toilet trained.
- I may be able to use a spoon but I spill.
Play I Enjoy:
- I like to turn switches on and off.
- I like to throw things, push things, and pound on things.
- I like playing with spoons, cups, and boxes.
- I don’t play very long with any one toy. I like to carry around a soft doll or toy animal.
- I like playing in sandboxes.
- I like rolling a ball with you.