Parenting Tips for Your 17-18 Month Old Toddler
How I Grow
- I like to lug, tug, and drag things.
- I want my own way almost all the time.
- I can walk upstairs if you will hold one hand.
- I like to run, but I fall or bump into things sometimes.
- I’m beginning to use one hand more than the other.
- When things don’t go the way I want them to, I get angry.
- I’m learning to crawl backwards down the stairs.
- I like to grab anything I can reach.
How I Talk
- I understand more words than I can say.
- I’m getting good at copying words.
- I often babble to myself.
- Sometimes I will do what you ask me to do.
- I try to sing, and I like to have you sing to me.
- Sometimes I can ask you for what I want, like a cookie, by naming it.
- I can say about ten words, but mostly I use the word “no.”
- I am beginning to understand the meaning of “now.”
What I Have Learned
- I can fit a round block into a round hole.
- I can point to one or two parts of my body if you name them.
- I can copy the simple lines you make on paper.
- I may be able to match circles and squares on a form board.
- I am beginning to remember where things belong.
- I can use a stick to get a toy.
- I can build a tower of two or three blocks.
- With your help I can turn pages of a book.
How I Get Along with Others
- I’m still mostly just interested in myself.
- I may be grabby and greedy.
- Sometimes I’m stubborn and bossy, but sometimes I’m friendly.
- I may be afraid of some things, like thunder and lightning and large animals.
- I may have temper tantrums when I’m tired or angry.
- I still love to show off and get attention.
What I Can Do for Myself
- I can help put toys away.
- I may be able to turn on some faucets.
- When I’m ready for bed, I may bring you my pillow or my favorite stuffed toy.
Play I Enjoy
- I like playing with nesting toys and stacking toys.
- I often run around without any special plan.
- I like pushing wheel toys and large toy boxes and other things like that around the floor.
- I may be able to string large, colored, wooden beads.
- I like blowing bubbles. I still don’t play very long with any one thing.