Parenting Tips for Your 21-22 Month Old Toddler
How I Grow
- I’m becoming a little less self-centered.
- I love to run, throw, and climb.
- I can walk upstairs with both feet on each step while holding on.
- I may use one hand more than the other.
- If you fold a paper, I can copy you.
- I can obey about three directions.
How I Talk
- I can say about 20 words.
- I like to have you sing songs to me.
- I like to look at books, but if you don’t watch me, I may tear them.
- I try to follow directions.
- I can ask for things by name.
- I can point to five body parts on myself or my doll.
- I can help with simple jobs.
What I Have Learned
- I like very tiny things like bugs. Watch what I put in my mouth.
- I can name people I know from pictures.
- I can put together a puzzle if it has only two or three large pieces.
- I love to build and knock down, empty, pull apart, feel, twist, and squeeze everything I can get my hands on.
- I am curious about people, animals, birds, and everything that I see.
- I like listening to nursery rhymes, and I can say them.
- I know when a picture in a book is upside down.
- I can build a tower of four or five blocks.
How I Get Along with Others
- I have a mind of my own, so I don’t always do what you ask. I often do the opposite of what I’m asked.
- I can understand what’s mine and what’s yours.
- I try to tell people what I have seen and done.
- I’m beginning to understand other people’s feelings; I can sometimes cooperate.
- I can show love to you and other favorite people.
- I’m becoming easier to get along with, but I can still be hard to live with sometimes.
What I Can Do For Myself
- I can wash and dry my hands.
- I can hold a cup and drink from it.
- I may be able to put on my shoes, but I still can’t lace them, and I may put them on the wrong feet.
- I may be able to put things where they belong.
- I can pick up and put away my toys, if you will help me.
- I like to sweep, dust, mop, hammer, vacuum, shovel, scoop, or rake, because I have seen you do these things.
Play I Enjoy
- I like to fit things together.
- I enjoy using a toy telephone.
- I like to pull things around in a wagon or cart.
- I like playing tag with you or an older child.
- I can put rings on a spindle toy.
- I like to pretend. I might wrap up my doll or stuffed animal in a blanket and put it to bed.
- My feelings are easily hurt.
- I test the limits you set and try to get my own way.