Parenting Tips for Your 25-26 Month Old Toddler
How I Feel
- I like our routines like the story you read to me and the hug you give me every night at bedtime.
- I get upset when my routines are not followed.
- I feel good that I can do more things by myself.
- I am starting to treat familiar children as my friends.
- I really like playing with other kids.
- I am better about being separated from you because I know you’ll come back.
How I Talk
- I say “no” a lot. This shows my independence.
- I like to hear rhymes, but it may be hard for me to say all the words with you.
- I talk more clearly now. Other adults can understand what I say.
- I am starting to use words for positions, like “over”, “under”, “inside”, and “outside”.
- I am also starting to refer to myself as “I” and others as “you” or “him”.
How I Grow
- I need 3 small meals and 3 healthy snacks each day.
- I can use a crayon on my own to make scribbles.
- I can use a cup and spoon. Forks may still be hard.
- I am starting to walk and run in straight lines.
- I can jump off the ground with both feet.
How I Understand
- I can match an object that is in my hand with a picture of the object.
- I can take turns when playing games.
- I know that there is a right way to do things. I am starting to compare my actions with the “right” way.
- I am starting to put easy puzzles together (2 to 3 pieces).
Learn more about Your Toddler: 25-26 Months from Just In Time Parenting. You can also go to our Resource Links
for additional information on child care and development.