FA Youth Home > List of Exercises > Rolling for Parts of an Ant
Activity: Rolling for Parts of an Ant
You and your friends will match the parts of an ant to a diagram, completing the diagram by rolling the appropriate numbers on a pair of dice. To play this game, you need at least two people.
Learn about the parts of insects and insect symmetry using the ant diagram.
- Each player will need a copy of the Parts of an Ant worksheet. The object of the game is to be the first player to complete the diagram by rolling the dice.
- Here’s what you must roll to fill in each part of the diagram:
- 1 - head
- 2 - thorax
- 3 - head
- 4 - antenna
- 5 - antenna
- 6 - leg
- 7 - leg
- 8 - leg
- 9 - leg
- 10 - leg
- 11 - leg
- 12 - gaster
- Each player rolls both dice at the same time and colors in the parts indicated by the dice.
- Each player may get only one ant part per roll. For example: If a player rolls a “1” and a “5,” the player may color in the head (1) or one antenna (5) or one leg (1 + 6 = 7). Additional example: If a player rolls a”5” and a “6,” the player may fills in an antenna (5) or a leg (6) or a leg (5 + 6 = 11). The player who fills in all 12 pieces first wins.
- When the game is over, you should be able to identify the main parts of an ant.
Additional Information for Instructors